The Big Day Off

It didn’t quite go to plan – we didn’t set off until 11am for one thing, though the plan had been to be on the road by nine.

The light wasn’t very good for photography so we didn’t get many photographs, and managed to miss three corkers. One was a yellowhammer on a stone gate post (it flew as we raised the camera), the second was an orange tip butterfly we spotted whilst driving down a narrow road (yes, it flew and settled a couple of times but I missed it, despite trying to track it for 10 minutes) and the third was a cormorant drying its wings on the edge of Scarborough Harbour. It would have been an easy shot, apart from the fact I’d left the camera in the car.

I did manage to get a few shots though, just to brighten up the slab of text.

On the other hand several things did go right. We stocked up on cake at Mrs Botham’s and had a couple of pork pies to fill the hole where lunch should have been. They were probably the second best pork pies I’ve ever had. The crust was well-flavoured and crispy and the meat had good taste and texture. With a little bit of jelly these could have reigned supreme. Beaten into second place by the thickness of an eighth of an inch of jelly!

Whitby was a bit of a bust, being pretty much one traffic jam from end to end. Fortunately we had called at Mrs B’s bakery, on the Scarborough side of town. If we’d tried for the tea room we would have been doomed.

After a detour  through some narrow country roads (missing the aforementioned pictures of yellowhammer and orange tip) we made it to Scarborough and the second part of the shopping trip. First, the Poundshop, which isn’t quite a pound shop any more. However, five pairs of reading glasses for £10 should do me for a while. Then the  cheap bookshop, which is better stocked than ever. I bought Julia a stick of Marmite flavoured rock there, because she likes Marmite. I’m one of the few people who seems to be able to take it or leave it. The rock was sweet with the occasional hint of Marmite, but the important thing is that all my teeth survived.

Finally we bought crabs on the seafront and started the hunt for fish and chips.

We resisted the lure of the Golden Grid because although it talks a good game we’ve always felt disappointed (and poor) at the end of the meal.

Winking Willy’s was very good last time we went (despite the name) but it was closed. The Fishpan seemed quite popular, so we chose that. The service was a bit chaotic but the staff were really pleasant and the food was excellent. When I ordered a large haddock they suggested we move onto a table for 4, as it was unlikely to fit onto the table for 2 where we were currently seated. They weren’t wrong. It’s the first time I’ve had a portion so large that it had to be measure in square yards rather than by weight.


Kittiwakes nesting on the cliff below Scarborough Castle

Fish was succulent, batter was crisp, chips were good, peas could have been better, as could the bread and butter, but they were still more than adequate.

In my younger days I once ate the Harry Ramsden’s Challenge and still have the certificate to prove it. I was able to eat a pudding and custard after that, too. Yesterday I had to leave the last four chips because I simply couldn’t fit them in. I did put them on Julia’s plate though, as I didn’t want people thinking I was a wimp.

















































































































































































































































































































































































































seemed a bit disorganised, though they were very friendly and



4 thoughts on “The Big Day Off

Leave a Reply