Me, moaning about computers and photographing birds

It’s been a strange Sunday. Julia’s laptop has been playing up and refusing to connect to the internet so we went to the computer shop where they told us it would cost £60 to have it sent away, after which they would tell us how much it would cost before we could get it back. Forgive my cynicism but that seems to me to be a good description of how kidnappers operate.

That’s how I ended up looking round Curry’s/PC World looking at new laptops.

It’s also how I ended up sitting in the car whimpering. It’s been an expensive couple of weeks, and the process of spending money

I’m sure it must be possible, bearing in mind the advance of technology and the economics of mass production, to build an acceptable laptop for around £150. We don’t need a terrabyte of memory or the ability to use huge amounts of graphics. We just want to write emails. surf the net and brighten up a few photos.

That’s before I even start on the evils of the new way of selling Microsoft Office. If you own a copy and haven’t replaced your computer in the last few years you’re in for a surprise. You don’t own it now, you just rent it for a year at a time. When your subscription expires you don’t have access to Office.

That’s like buying a car and only renting the ignition key.

After that I had to go to the park and photograph birds.

32 thoughts on “Me, moaning about computers and photographing birds

1. gumersindo

It does run well on older hardware, is not hard to install, and a used computer you can format and reinstall from a Linux distro disk (you can download for free from Ubuntu) might work well for you. I use Libre Office which isn’t as good but it is free.

Liked by 1 person

2. DevBlog

Yes, Open Office/Libre Office is on the list as a replacement, as is finding a reliable local shop.
    Yes, I’ve thought of Linux, but my lack of computer know-how keeps me going for the safe option.

Liked by 1 person

3. clarepooley33

This Microsoft scam is news to me. Fortunately, I don’t use it as my husband decided some time ago that it cost too much. I use Libre Office which isn’t as good but it is free.
    We are fortunate in having a very good computer shop in Bungay run by a man who does all his own repairs and sells reconditioned laptops. He is quick, reliable and reasonably priced.
    I love the Mallard wing shot – beautiful!

Liked by 1 person

4. Lavinia Ross

That’s a beautiful Mallard wing shot, and I enjoyed your collection of photos.

The computer adventures aren’t fun. You might want to consider running Linux. It does run well on older hardware, is not hard to install, and a used computer you can format and reinstall from a Linux distro disk (you can download for free from Ubuntu) might work well for you.

Liked by 1 person

5. Lisa Rest

I commiserate with you about the cost of keeping up with technology. It’s such a scam, but we are so dependent on these devices and the software keeps “improving” until the hardware can’t function anymore…sigh. I’ve been going through this too and it’s not just the money but the time wasted “updating”!! Having said that photographing birds is still the remedy if not the direct cause of all the frustration. Lovely shots.

Liked by 1 person

1. quercuscommunity Post author

Yes, I thought I’d see what happened if I didn’t renew and couldn’t access anything. I’m seriously thinking of reactivating the dusty desktop with its old but everlasting copy of Office.

6. jfwknifton

I don’t know why there aren’t more corner shops for computers, one man businesses doing cheap fixes and selling second hand goods that have been reconditioned. That happens for cars…..

Liked by 1 person

7. arlingwoman

Ugh, a day of frustration and money worries. Double ugh. I do like that patch of blue you caught on the mallard wing! and the photos you calmed yourself with are quite lovely. I do have to say that yes, I was ticked off at learning I had to pay for the blasted software every year. Grrr.

Liked by 1 person